Just a way to organize code
I first started learning Object Oriented Programming (OOP) in the
beginning of Grade 12. I was excited since I was finally going to learn about
this mysterious computer programming term that I had heard digital whispers
about. I was eager to learn a new programming language and it came to my
knowledge that my classmates and I would be learning Java! However, my first
experience with OOP and Java was, simply put, overwhelming and confusing.
Like almost everything in computer science, learning
something new means learning a lot of new jargon. Combine this with the rough
transition from english-esque python to slightly more cryptic Java; it’s fair
to say that I had some work ahead of me. For some reason OOP seemed mysterious,
there was something about it that I didn’t understand at first. When I
talked to some of my classmates, even halfway through the course, I would get
the same question, “Yeah… but what IS object oriented programming!?”. The
problem was, due to the excessive amount of new information and terms like;
inheritance, object, instance, encapsulation, classes, fields, property, etc…
something was lost. What exactly was Object Oriented Programming?
Object Oriented programming
is JUST A WAY TO ORGANIZE CODE!
Or,
as Wikipedia more complicatedly puts it, “Object-oriented
programming (OOP) is a programming paradigm that represents concepts as
"objects" that have data fields (attributes that describe the object)
and associated procedures known as methods”(this is the kind of language
instructors should avoid).
I
believe if the point is emphasized during an introduction to OOP, it would make
the learning process easier and less intimidating for the students. After I
understood this definition, any mystery and intimidation surrounding OOP was
gone, and, as a result, learning OOP became a great deal easier. While this
does help the learning immensely, I believe that the best way to learn is to
implement OOP design, and write to your own code!
Just a way to organize code
I first started learning Object Oriented Programming (OOP) in the
beginning of Grade 12. I was excited since I was finally going to learn about
this mysterious computer programming term that I had heard digital whispers
about. I was eager to learn a new programming language and it came to my
knowledge that my classmates and I would be learning Java! However, my first
experience with OOP and Java was, simply put, overwhelming and confusing.
Like almost everything in computer science, learning
something new means learning a lot of new jargon. Combine this with the rough
transition from english-esque python to slightly more cryptic Java; it’s fair
to say that I had some work ahead of me. For some reason OOP seemed mysterious,
there was something about it that I didn’t understand at first. When I
talked to some of my classmates, even halfway through the course, I would get
the same question, “Yeah… but what IS object oriented programming!?”. The
problem was, due to the excessive amount of new information and terms like;
inheritance, object, instance, encapsulation, classes, fields, property, etc…
something was lost. What exactly was Object Oriented Programming?
Object Oriented programming
is JUST A WAY TO ORGANIZE CODE!
Or,
as Wikipedia more complicatedly puts it, “Object-oriented
programming (OOP) is a programming paradigm that represents concepts as
"objects" that have data fields (attributes that describe the object)
and associated procedures known as methods”(this is the kind of language
instructors should avoid).
I
believe if the point is emphasized during an introduction to OOP, it would make
the learning process easier and less intimidating for the students. After I
understood this definition, any mystery and intimidation surrounding OOP was
gone, and, as a result, learning OOP became a great deal easier. While this
does help the learning immensely, I believe that the best way to learn is to
implement OOP design, and write to your own code!
No comments:
Post a Comment